Annapolis, MD — Anbaric Development Partners, one of the nation’s leading independent developers of electric transmission and storage projects, applauds the Maryland legislature for passing and Governor Wes Moore for signing the Promoting Offshore Wind Energy Resources (POWER) Act, which will raise the state’s offshore wind goals to 8.5 GW by 2031 and create a planning process for offshore wind transmission.
“We applaud Governor Moore and the Maryland legislature for passing the POWER Act with an overwhelming majority, signaling that the state’s lawmakers recognize the benefits of offshore wind expansion, the economic development and good union jobs that come with that energy transition, and the need to create a seamless transmission plan to bring that power to the grid,” said Janice Fuller, President, Mid-Atlantic. “Developing an independent, shared transmission system for offshore wind projects will avoid offshore and onshore cable congestion, reduce financial burdens on ratepayers, and improve onshore grid reliability. As leaders of the planned transmission conversation for years, Anbaric is prepared to provide proven transmission solutions that will unleash Maryland’s offshore wind potential, meet the Governor’s energy and environmental goals, and foster economic development and job creation for Marylanders.”
More specifically, the POWER Act will:
- Set a goal for Maryland to generate 8.5 GW of energy from offshore wind by 2031, which establishes Maryland as a major contender for leading offshore wind development in the Mid-Atlantic region.
- Create a coordinated approach to transmission to improve grid resiliency and reliability and avoid congestion of lines.
- Work with PJM to embark on a process to study specific transmission solutions, including:
- Open-access collector system to allow for the interconnection of multiple offshore wind projects at a single substation;
- Upgrading the existing grid;
- Extending the transmission grid both onshore and offshore;
- Interconnecting between offshore substations;
- Adding energy storage;
- And using high voltage direct current converter technology to support potential weaknesses in the transmission grid.
- Build out existing lease areas, allowing additional projects to be built without the costs to ratepayers, and allowing Maryland to potentially benefit from up to 1600 MW of additional offshore wind energy.
About Anbaric Development Partners
Anbaric is a US-based company focused on planning and scaling renewable energy. Anbaric develops clean energy infrastructure to accelerate the deployment of renewable energy across North America, specializing in the design, development, financing, and construction of large-scale electric transmission and storage systems. For more information visit anbaric.com.